Adding Memorabilia to Scrapbooks

I love to include memorabilia in my scrapbooks.  Ticket stubs, maps, postcards etc…  I think they give an authentic look to the album and can help aid in telling my story.  There are many times that I also buy postcards or even include photos from the guidebooks or pamphlets from my trip.   Be careful with copyright laws on this last tip.   I tend to tell myself it is ok since I bought the book, and  it is just for my personal use.

Typically the paper that postcards and other memorabilia  are printed on contain acid that will migrate to your photos over time.  While acid and lignin are issues that came up readily in the early years of scrapbooking, you don’t hear a lot about them now.  They remain harmful chemicals to photos and are the biggest issue with including memorabilia straight into albums.  I use the archival color copier to eliminate the problem and put as much memorabilia in my books as I want.  My albums are only 8-10 years old and when I haven’t made a copy, I have been sorry as some of the photos closest to it are already yellowing.     The copier we have at Archiver’s is acid/lignin free and uses archival quality paper and ink. I was a devotee of this tool long before I started working at Archiver’s and was impressed with the research they had done before adding them to the first stores.   The copies are photo quality and are on thick archival paper, so you really get the look and quality of the original you are copying.  I can enlarge and shrink photos to a really small size, beyond what most photo stations I have tried can.  If you don’t have an Archiver’s near you, you can use a product called Archival Mist to de-acidify the item that you are using.  Some fun ways to incorporate  memorabilia:

Shrink Photos – I like to have header pages in my trip albums.  I used the copier to shrink down several of my best photos and included them small on the first page – then used the actual photo in my layouts later in the album.

Ticket Stubs – I had pre-ordered tickets to castles and historic British sites before we left on this trip.  When they started arriving they all had the Queen’s seal on them.  I want to incorporate as many as I could into my layouts because they looked so cool!  On this particular layout I had open space  that I didn’t have a photo to fill with – copies of the airline tickets worked great.

Maps - We did so many fun things in and around London that I wanted to include the map to orient where in the city we spent our time.  I copied and enlarged this map from one of the tube maps we got at the subway station.

Tags: , , ,

1. Bonnie’s avatar

I too love to use memorabilia in my scrapbooking. I haven’t seen a lot of people doing it so I didn’t think it was the “cool” thing to do. :) This gives me some great ideas! As always, this blog is wonderful.

2. Margaret’s avatar

I like to use the maps as the background paper, mat the photos and memorabilia with acid free paper, and arrange them on the map, leaving the important areas showing. To me, the advantage of traditional scrapbooking is that you can include the actual tickets or brochures from the trip. Digital, not so much…

3. Paula Freeman’s avatar

I have always loved to add memorabilia to all my scrapbooks. When we went on a cruise I think I had every piece of paper or wrapper we used. I take a ziplock bag and just fill it up.

4. DeDe’s avatar

If you are using buffered pages or buffered paper to mat your photos, the acid and lignin in memorabilia like this will not yellow your photos.

Buffered pages contain calcium carbonate which nuetralizes the acids. I have been using memborabilia in my albums since 1997 on buffered pages and haven’t had any photos yellow yet.

5. Michelle’s avatar

I also include travel pamphlet for places I’ve been for my scrapbook. Adding memorabilla really makes a difference to a scrapbook.

6. Jennifer’s avatar

I always use some type of memorabilia in my scrapbooks. It is nice when you go back thru them later there is something there to remind you of that event plus when others look at the books it helps them to “visualize” that event.

7. Kathy’s avatar

I have also used memorabilia pockets to add items. You can even attach them to the outside of your page protector, so that readers can access brochures, etc.

8. Gwendolyn’s avatar

I love your copy machines there. I will go out of my way to go to the store to get copies made !! Thank You we love it !!!!

9. Kookie’s avatar

I do this all the time – I cruise every year and I make a book for whoever travels with me (as a gift) filled with everything I can pick up – ticket stubs, sail and sign cards, baggage tickets, maps, foreign currency, shopping bags and tickets, ship newspapers that helps me to remember went on during those days – I bring so much stuff back that I pack an extra carry on just for that purpose – such a packrat – my childhood scrapbooks were the same and I am so glad I did them that way, so I guess, I’ve never changed my way of scrapping…..oh yes, there are lots and lots of pix as well…..when I am done with the book, I photograph each page and save them to a file to remember what I did……oh, I’ll have to look into those buffered pages, great idea DeDe.

10. Laura’s avatar

What about page protectors – wouldn’t they help buffer the acidic items? I’m thinking they would for something across from the acidic item but maybe not as much for something attached directly next to the acidic item. Anybody know more about this? I have a newspaper birth announcement I wanted to include in my album and I like including maps, tickets, from trips. Thanks!